Today I went to the cannery to pick up some wheat and I happened to get there right at the same time the volunteers were arriving for their shift. As I was filling out an order form and wrestling with kids I happened to overhear the volunteers conversation. (It's not eavesdropping if you are standing right there is it?) Anyway, they had a very typical and very cheesy "Mormon conversation" that went something like this
Man: I have never been to the cannery before.
Man's friend: Oh, you'll like it, it's a great chance to serve and to feel like you are doing something worthwhile.
just then the women arrive
Man: Oh good the Relief Society sisters are here to take care of us.
Women: (giggles and laughs) Yes we're always here to do that.
Now normally when I hear any conversations like this, I roll my eyes and think how cheesy these people are and then I make sure to remind myself that I am nothing like that. (I'm Mormon cynical not Mormon cheesy.) Anyway, today when I heard this silly conversation, I was strangely overwhelmed by the fact that I am part of something so much bigger than myself and by the fact that I know that wherever I go, I will be able to find people who feel, act and believe the same way I do. Sure there will always be plenty of cheesy remarks and expectations, but at the heart of all of those things are people who truly care about other people. It seems like the older I get the more I notice that common courtesy's and civility are a thing of the past, but in an LDS environment, I think the opposite is true. People are generally welcoming, kind and helpful. People generally like to make a difference in the lives of those around them. And people generally care about you for who you are. I love knowing that I could walk into any meeting house in any area of the world and find a kindred spirit. I love knowing that my beliefs dictate my actions. I love knowing that I am a daughter of God and that everyone I pass on the street is too, and that I need to treat them accordingly. I really don't know what I would do without the church in my life. I am so grateful to live around so many other people who share my beliefs and who act accordingly. The gospel is such a large part of who I am and what I aspire to become and I am so grateful to be surrounded by so many friends and family members who live up to what they know to be true and who stand tall as examples to me! SO now I have to thank the cheesy people who got the wheels turning in my head that reminded me of how blessed I am to have the gospel in my lives. Sure, they may have been a little bit cheesy, but it turns out that I'm OK with cheesy!
2 comments:
I am also a cynical but okay with cheesy gal. Especially when I move out of Utah and get to have a batch of new cheesy individuals in a new ward that I can get to know.
Good post! Isn't the gospel wonderful?!! I have a non-member friend that hangs out with our almost all LDS group of people. She is amazed at how kind/willing to serve/caring everyone is & says she feels so lucky to have us as friends. She thinks we are an anomoly. I don't have the heart to tell her it is simply the gospel that makes people that way--and she could find the same caliber of people at any LDS church in the world! =)
Post a Comment