Sunday, March 23, 2008
I Hate the Easter Bunny!
I have never been a fan of the whole Easter Bunny thing. I mean come on, the idea of a giant rabbit hopping around leaving you treats and hiding a basket of fun stuff for you just doesn't make a lot of sense. (In fact, the only reason I don't tell my kids that the Easter Bunny is a fraud is because I do like Santa Claus and I'm not sure how to let them have one without the other). This year, I have been more annoyed by this whole concept than usual. I am so bothered by the commercial aspect of such a sacred day and the fact that a stupid rabbit gets more attention than our Savior. I think I am especially annoyed by this tonight because my kids were sick enough to stay home from church today, but not sick enough to forgo the other Easter activities. I just feel like we missed out on what Easter is really about and I know that it is my fault for not making more of an effort to put a better focus on what is important. Thankfully I didn't put to much of a focus on any other part of the day either. This was a really low key Easter for us. No new church clothes, no big surprises and very little candy. I really was a bit of a bah-humbug about the whole thing, but I am annoyed with myself for not spending more time today teaching my kids about what Jesus really did for them. After having a few of my friends tell me that they do their baskets and egg hunts on the Saturday, I am resigned to do that next year so that I can spend Easter Sunday focusing on what is really important. And while I didn't do a great job at my house making the focus be where it should, I will finish up by saying that I am so grateful for this holiday and all that it represents. I know that Jesus Christ suffered, bled and died for me and I will be forever grateful for His sacrifice and all that it means to me. I have a testimony of the power of the Atonement and the peace it can bring to my life and I strive to live in a way that will make Him proud of me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Amen Sister! I also have a great dislike for the EB. And I have not outed him for the same reason. Even Z told me over the weekend that it was 'kind of weird for a bunny to bring him treats.'
I agree 100%. It's funny I don't even hype up Santa Claus, I just have a hard time with it. Thank you!!
You also forgot to say that Craig ruined Easter!!
I agree with you. We always did our Easter Eggs and Baskets on Saturday and our children always knew that it was their parents that hid the eggs and the Easter Baskets. They never believed in the Easter Bunny and it never made them wonder about Santa Claus. My brother has the Spring Bunny come on Saturday because he just couldn't see calling it the Easter Bunny. I think your feelings about Easter are what most people feel.
Am I the only one who loves Easter? I absolutely love it! The Easter bunny was so real to me as a child, and I love easter treats, colors and decorations. I love the focus on the Savior. To me it represents spring and new beginnings.
Didnt you all read peter cottontail as children? And didnt you love Easter egg hunts, marshmellow eggs, and dying eggs?
I cant be the only one:)
My sis-in-law did something cool this year that I would like to do with my kids some day...
She asked ALL of our family and her family to send an e-mail with our testimonies of our Savior. She printed them out and she put each one into a different egg for the Easter egg hunt (this one was on Sunday before Church). Once they collected all the eggs, they sat down together and read them as a family. It helped them to focus on the real purpose of the holiday.
I thought it was a cute idea.
Amen is right- I forgot all about it this year- Oops i had to run out to the store saturday night at 10 pm
We always did the Easter Bunny stuff on Saturday because my dad always had early Sunday meetings. I guess my parents just explained that the Easter Bunny wanted to keep Sunday a special day and not to have us forget what it was really about. I was one of those silly kids who thought the Easter Bunny was a Mormon too.
Also thanks to your sick kids I am now sick and canceled a date tonight because I don't feel well.
Now I feel GUILTY! =) We did all the Easter stuff--and I've never even HEARD about doing it on Sat., though I think that is a GREAT idea. We also did a lesson about the true meaning of Easter (the day AFTER--we're lame), so I'm hoping it all connected.
Post a Comment