Saturday, August 9, 2008

Whirlwind--part 1

I was going to title this post "Whirlwind Weekend" but our lives have been a whirlwind for much longer than that. I guess when you have a sister who is only in town for a little (or at least what now seems like a little) while, you take advantage of every minute you can get. I doesn't hurt when you and your sister are kindred spirits and your kids are the best of best friends. So I guess I owe my apologies to all the other friends and framily in my life for being kind of nonexistent for the past six weeks. And to my sister--I miss you already and I really wish you would answer your phone! Anyway, between my family and Craig's we have had so much going on that I thought I better hurry and catch up on our lives.
Last weekend was one of the busiest for us. We took a trip to Price, had a summer work party, and a super fun sleepover up at my parents cabin. Basically we are all exhausted, but it's all worth it because I want to take every last moment to enjoy our carefree summer before school starts again. Here's a recap.

Our whirlwind started out on Wednesday with a sleepover with our cousins. The kids were convinced that they all wanted to sleep together so we let everyone who sleeps in their own bed crash on the toy room floor. The kids were so cute. They set up their sleeping arrangements all by themselves and were really good about staying quiet and falling asleep quickly. Although the sleepover was too short, we are so glad that they came and we would take them any day.
Friday night (last week) we wanted to take our family down to the Castle Valley Pageant. It was something I have wanted to go to for years, and now that I have been I'm probably good to not go back for years. It was a pageant that tells a fictionalized story about the individuals and families who settled Castle Valley. While the story was a bit hokey--it did make me stop and thing about the sacrifices so many people have made for me to have the life I have. Whenever I stop and think about it, I am completely amazed by the pioneers and their strength, faith and courage. Before the pageant there was a pioneer village with a lot of little activities for kids to be involved in. My kids had fun milking cows, going on wagon rides, getting prairie diamonds from the blacksmith, getting their hair put up in rags, and seeing a lot of other displays of pioneer life. Although I said before that the pageant was hokey, I really am impressed that such a small community can put on a production like that. I was also completely overwhelmed by the kindness and friendliness of all the people there. My kids had a great time watching the show--that is everyone except Ben--he fell asleep about 5 minutes into it and didn't even wake up until we had to carry him to the car. Sarah loved watching the "horsies" that were an active part of the show, but she did about drive me crazy with her inability to sit still.

Madeline milking the cow--everyone was really disgusted by the cow's mouth and nose, but Andrew and Madeline were brave enough to milk it

Madeline getting rags put in her hair. I actually want to try this one out sometime. It looks like a much easier and more comfortable way for us to get curls in her hair than pink curlers.
The kids waiting for the show to start. I think Ben looks so tired in this pic.
Watching the show
Sarah amazed with the"horsies" running through the water

Thankfully we only had to drive back to Craig's parents house where there were nice soft beds waiting for us. The next day I got up very early for a very long and lonely run (you know it's lonely when you start saying "hello" to the all the politicians on the signs you pass). After that it was an even longer day of waiting for Craig to help his parents with some yard work. We had every intention of heading home shortly after lunch, but the yard work project kept hitting road bumps that cause us to wait to leave until almost four o'clock. We were all excited to finally get on the road because that meant it was on to our next fun filled activity--Craig's summer work party. The company really went all out. They had a full fledged carnival, complete with all the treats, rides, inflatables and carnival games you could want. My kids were in heaven. It really was any kids dream come true and it just made us grateful for a good job that not only provides for our family but also one that cares about making sure we have fun!

The crazy clown making some REALLY cool balloon creations.
The kids with their balloon creations
Sarah enjoying her first of many, many, many treats. Snow Cones, cotton candy, cookies, and bags of candy just to name a few!
Andrew on the Tornado--everyone's favorite ride.
Madeline's priceless face on the Tornado. This was her second time around. The first time there was a much different look crossing that face! (Picture the exact opposite face and then magnify it by 5 and you'll guess what she looked like)
Ben cautiously enjoying the Tornado.
Ben and Sarah doing what the big kids termed "baby rides"
Waiting for the concert to start.
Craig and I enjoying our family and enjoying the night

After the rides, games, and the way way way too many treats, they had a band and a fireworks show. After a few songs from the band, we decided to call it a day. We were all exhausted and Craig and I opted to leave the party early and skip out on the fireworks portion of the night. We headed to our car, but just as we were leaving the parking lot, the fireworks show started and we had a lot of fun watching it from our car. I was amazed at the show--it really was better than the city fireworks this year and I actually really like enjoying them with just our family in our own little way!

Since I'm running out of time, I'll save the rest of the extended weekend for a post later tonight or tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I thought we were busy :-)

BTW you look like one hot mommy in that picture!!

jayne said...

Isn't it funny that after you have 4 kids things like bedtimes and schedules really don't matter anymore? We were so religiously scheduled when our oldest were babes, I think I like it better now. Sounds like a fun week. You do look awesome in that picture! I really need to run as much as you do when this babe is born!

Melodrama Mama said...

I love you to death and I miss you a ton! Take care and we will talk soon - because of course our lives will now be calm and sedate!

The Tuck Family said...

We just missed you guys....we went to the CD Pageant on Saturday night. The pre-game festivities were a lot more fun than the actual pageant though I agree! Although I must admit...amid the cheesiness of the play I did get teary eyed twice. But I can blame that on the pregnancy right? Speaking of that, thanks for the comment of moral support, it really does mean a lot to hear words of encouragement by awesome Moms...it makes me feel like I'll be just fine!

Erin said...

Isnt' summer the BEST?? It looks like you guys are taking advantage of every second of it!

I started back at school today... booo! I'll start with students next week. But it's been a great summer... Time flies when you're having fun!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

wow what a FUN and busy weekend! All those pioneer activities look so fun (i heard the writer/producer of that pageant was just killed--so sad). What a fun thing to go to. Oh, and that is a carnival for work?! They went ALL OUT! Those pics on the 'tornado' are awesome--totally captures the moment! Glad you guys are soaking up the summer fun!