Thursday, May 1, 2008

To trust or not to trust...

I have always been a trusting person. I think it's mostly because I don't want to believe that there are people out there who want to take advantage of me, or anyone else for that matter. Because of this trust, I am also not very careful--my car is usually left unlocked, I frequently forget to lock my house when I leave, and I tend to not worry if my purse is left unattended in a public place. However, that blind trust has been replaced with extra precautions this week. On Saturday I came home from who knows where and Craig asked me if I had loaned his miter saw to anyone. I told him I hadn't and then looked to its normal resting spot to see a large empty space. The only conclusion we can come to is that someone saw it sitting there as I trustingly left the garage open one afternoon and felt compelled to acquire it as their own. (As a side note, I am also missing an MP3 player that I left in my van). After a quick once over the garage, we are pretty sure that nothing else is missing, but that big empty spot in the garage is now a constant reminder to me that we have been taken advantage of. And the thing that kind of makes my stomach churn is the sneaking suspicion that we probably know the thief due to the fact that our garage isn't visible to normal passers by. Mostly the whole experience just makes me sad. Sad to know that we have been the victims of a crime (a very small crime, but a crime nonetheless.) Sad that we might just have to buy a new miter saw, and sad that my trusting nature has had to put up some boundaries and walls. So to answer my title question, yes I will still trust, but I will also now buy chains!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That stinks! Our neighborhood has been hit a lot..I don't know a lot of people that haven't had something taken. It is the worst feeling :-(

Hassingers said...

Bummer!! Like Laurie said we have had a lot of things stolen in our neighborhood. One time they took a compressor in the garage while the guy was using it!!

Erin said...

I am so sorry! I feel like I'm a trusting and happy person, but stories like this make me angry. How can anyone live with themselves knowing they took something that belongs another person. It's just plain WEIRD! Again, so sorry!

Melodrama Mama said...

That is too bad! You can still be a trusting person - but of the people that you know well. Assume the best of those you don't, but take precautions to protect yourself anyways. I am sorry about the saw - and the MP3!

rabidrunner said...

It was Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with the rope. Try looking there.

Sorry about that!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh Becca--I'm so sorry to hear that! It is such a violated feeling, and it stinks. I've been a SUPER cautious person about locking doors and stuff ever since we lived in Houston. Even now in a small town, I can't get over it! It's too bad we have to be so careful because of dishonest people.

Christine said...

How un-nerving and scary thinking about how much worse it could have been. Glad that is all they got and hope you don't get anything else taken.

jayne said...

Don't you feel so violated? Nothing like knowing some person was in your space un-invited. Sorry.