Friday, May 2, 2008

Friday Flashback

OK, so I saw this on a friend's blog and have been thinking about copying it for a while. I figured that just thinking about it doesn't do me much good, so I am now formally starting my own "Friday Flashbacks." I think this really is a great idea due to the fact that I no longer have time to scrapbook (and even if I did, I don't really know if I could bring myself to start again because it would be such a daunting task) so, I can hopefully refresh my memory on some of those old photos I have filed away and use my blog to help capture them forever! Since today is Craig's birthday,I thought it was fitting to post some old pic's of his birthday. These were taken in 2003 and before I say anthing else, I feel a need to apologize to both of my children for their rather unfortunate bangs that I felt a need to not only style that way, but also to spray with so much hairspray that they were forced to walk around looking like dorks all day. (Hey, what can I say, Craig was working at Nu Skin and I still thought it was cool to get all sorts of free products--even if the hairspray was absolutley awful!) Also, I must give Wendy a special thanks for pointing out to me during this time period, that my children looked ridiculous and that I needed to do something (anything) different with their hair :-)

Anyways, back to the pictures-if you look in the background, you can see picture proof of a longstanding tradition for us (us being me and the kids) to take Craig a carrot cake to work on his birthday. (Sadly that tradition came to a halt today due to a personal request from the birthday boy:-( Yes, I have been crazy enough to haul at first 2, then 3, and once even 4 children to a professional office building while carting a carrot cake milk and all the necessary serving supplies to serve said carrot cake. We never officially let Craig know that we were coming--though I know he always suspected and even expected it. Usually I would steal one of his co-workers phone numbers and then make sure I contacted them so that they could let me in past the security doors. I can only imagine what a site we must have been. In these pictures it was no big deal. I had two kids who could walk and who I trusted to stay close (or close enough) to me and then my hands were left for me to carry the cake in one hand and the milk and other various supplies in the other. However, as I kept having kids, this scenario changed quite a bit and last year when we arrived at his office, I remember thinking to myself that I was an complete and total idiot to try to take on the task of delivering a carrot cake while pushing a stroller, holding a cooler and having to direct 3 kids-who I no longer trusted to stay close enough-to avoid rushing in to Center Street traffic. That was about one week before Craig quit his job at Nu Skin and I remember being so grateful that we didn't have to go through this ordeal again next year due to the fact that his new job was too far away for me to want to attempt to haul 4 kids to share carrot cake at dad's work. But the new job was short lived and he now works only two short miles from our home so I was totally geared up to deliver a cake to his work today. I had bought the ingredients, I had stolen a co-workers cell phone number, and I had canceled all kids activities so that we could continue this tradition. However, last night he cautiously approached the subject and mentioned that he would rather not have a cake brought to his work and while I might have thought this would be a huge relief, it wasn't. I cried. Turns out that I like to torture myself in the name of tradition. I was kind of bummed all day about it, especially when all three of my speaking children asked at different times throughout the day f we were going to take a cake to dad's work. Turns out, they liked the torture too. I guess all that I can say is I'm glad we have made a tradition that the kids love and remember and there's always next year!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRAIG!

4 comments:

Melodrama Mama said...

Wow- Madeline and Sarah really look identical! And happy b-day to Craig!

Hassingers said...

I agree with your sister (I think she is your sister). Sarah is a mini Madeline!! I think you should take it to him next year. :)

Erin said...

I have to agree with both comments... 1.) I thought that was a picture of Sarah until I read your post and 2.) I think you should have just showed up with the cake. Men are so silly about birthday stuff, but deep down I just know they gotta love it, right?

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Happy Birthday Craig!!! What a sweet little tradition--hopefully it can carry on next year. I'm sure Craig secretly missed it! Oh, and your hair comments CRACKED me up. I've wondered before what styles I'm forcing on my kids now that will make them say, "mom what were you thinking?" in about 20 years! =) That DOES look like Sarah in the pic--amazing!