Before I head off to bed I wanted to make sure that I documented what has ended up being a great day. I started my morning with my favorite way to start any day--a run. I left at 6 am with a friend and drove up to run on trails. Feeling up for an adventure, we headed off on a trial we had never done before. It was beautiful--it was just the two of us on what felt like the top of the world. The first half of the run was fabulous--dirt paths, switchback trails, the strongest headwind I have ever run in and of course excellent company. The second half of the run however, topped even that. After reaching a turnaround point and feeling confident in our navigational skills, we headed back to find the main road that we had run in on. We were quite humbled to realize that we have no navigational skills. What we thought was the right road, ended up being anything but. Once we realized that, we had no choice but to chart our own course. We laughed as we followed deer trails, picked up rocks to use in defense from mountain lions, and simply ran through completely uncharted territory. It was absolutely exhilarating and the best start to a day that I've had in a long time. I felt like I was a kid again reveling in adventure and not having a care in the world. (That is not having a care in the world but the Primary activity that I was in charge of at 9:00) Thankfully we were able to find our way back to the road we were supposed to be on and finish our run with ongoing commentary of what a great object lesson this run would make.
After I got home (much later than anticipated) I quickly showered and ran off to our Primary activity--Breakfast with the Bishopric. It was such a fun activity and I think the kids and the bishopric alike all enjoyed themselves. The bishopric made us breakfast and then we played a game with them and finished up with a scavenger hunt where each member of the bishopric took time to talk to our primary children. Overall I feel really good about the activity and know that it was a great success. I am also very grateful for a bishopric that was so willing to participate and for all their work and service that they do for this ward.
Once the activity was finished, it was home for the hustle and bustle of a normal Saturday. Somehow though, the hustle and bustle died down long enough for me to enjoy an afternoon nap--a rare and very welcome event.
After my nap, I got to take a great bike ride with Ben who is so stinkin' cute on his 2-wheeler. Along the way we picked up several neighborhood friends and an invite to a BBQ party. The BBQ party was a lot of fun and it just reminded me how lucky I am to have such a great group of friends in my life :-) Finally I finished up the evening curled up on my sofa with a very good book, enjoying the peace and quiet of the silent slumber of the rest of my family.
It was a great day!
4 comments:
It really was that great, wasn't it?? You put it into words so much better than I could..I am just going to copy and paste your post into my journal:-) I love having a moment (or a couple of hours) that you remember forever :-)
You guys did a great job on the Primary Activity. It was fun learning about the Bishopric!
Very nice!!! Gotta savor those days since they seem to come so few and far between for us busy moms. :) I'm sure everyone loved your primary activity day.
Yay!--that DOES sound like a great day, from start to finish. =) I'm glad you got to experience all that--you deserve it!
Post a Comment