Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day

We had a great father's day weekend at our house and I truly am so grateful to have so many wonderful father's in our lives. The weekend started out with a very early trip down to Craig's parent's house to help with some yard work and to take some time to visit with his parent's. His dad really is getting up there in years, and because of that I don't think I ever got the chance to know what Craig's dad is really like. But I do know that Craig is who he is largely because of my father-in-law and I will be forever grateful for that. The whole time I have know Craig's dad, he has been a very quiet and solitary, but despite that I know that he is extremely loving and generous. In his day, he was a cattle rancher and has a strong work ethic that he (and his wife) have passed on to every single one of their kids. Now he doesn't have the best health and has no energy and has to be on oxygen all the time and while I know it is hard on him, I am still grateful that we have him around and that our kids get to know their Grandpa just a little bit better.

Besides our visit to see Craig's parents, we also had a small (very small) Father's day party at our house. Since we go to church at 9:00 a.m. there were no great father's day festivities in the morning. (I did remember to wish Craig a Happy Father's day as we finally sat down in sacrament meeting). After church I had to go to a quick meeting and when I came back I was happy to see that Andrew had taken it upon himself to get our Father's Day presents and "decorations" all set up. He was so cute after his lunch, he wrapped all our presents and made these signs and set everything up all by himself without even asking for help. I was so touched when I came home and saw everything all set up and ready to go--what a sweet kid! Of course once I was there that meant it was time to open presents (we went low key on purpose) and the kids loved seeing Craig open the things they had picked out--they were so excited to get him a water bottle that matched the rest of us and a green shirt that will fit right in at this work. Then Craig got to go and take his traditional Father's day nap. Later that evening my dad, mom, sister and uncle came down for dessert. We had carrot cake and spice cake--the favorites of both the fathers in my life--carrot for Craig and spice for my dad. We enjoyed everyone's company and really had a great time together.

I am so grateful for both Craig and my dad--they are both so important to me and such strong influences in my life and I love them both to pieces. My dad is the best dad anyone could ask for. He is kind, caring, loving and generous. He is such a joker and such a softie all at the same time. I love him to pieces, and my kids absolutely adore him.

And of course, my father's day recap wouldn't be complete without Craig because he is the most important father in my life and he truly is a great husband and father.such a softie all at the same time. I He is one of those dad's who don't mind getting down and dirty with the kids. He plays hard and isn't afraid (at least sometimes) to take on the responsibilities of motherhood. When I'm not around, he always makes an extra effort to take the kids on some kind of outing or to do something super fun with them. He adores each and every one of our kids and his adoration is returned ten fold. Every child has had their turn as toddlers to run to the door yelling "DADDY" as he returns home from work. Every one of them feels special and loved by him and we are all so grateful that he is our dad and that he is in our lives to teach us and love us every day! I couldn't ask for a better father for my kids and I hope he knows how much I appreciate the fact that he takes such good care of our kids in so many different ways!

2 comments:

Erin said...

What a great day! You are so lucky to live close enough to all the father's in your life! What a huge blessing!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

It's amazing how things can trickle down through generations--I too benefit from the 'M-family work hard' gene, and I am grateful! Craig's parents are amazing for instilling such a work ethic in their kids. Well, that is SOOO cute that Andrew prepared everything for Father's Day on his own. That is too sweet! Happy (belated) Father's Day to Craig!