Sunday, July 29, 2007

Something new.....

OK, so I should have realized this by now, but it is never a good idea to give your kids something new for dinner without involving them in it in some way shape or form. I have learned this lesson many times in the past and I will probably have to re-learn it many more in the future before it sinks in. Tonight's new experiment was mashed sweet potatoes. I initially thought it was a great idea--what kid wouldn't think it was cool to have orange mashed potatoes? (I even contemplated telling them that I had just put orange food coloring in their normal potatoes). Well, I forgot one thing--I have a nine month old baby in the house who eats multiple kinds of baby food that all look like-- you guessed it--mashed sweet potatoes. I guess it didn't help that I added a little bit too much liquid to our potatoes so the resemblance's to mixed vegetables, vegetable beef, carrots, sweet potatoes and corn...--the list goes on and on, was uncanny. Despite the fact that the potatoes tasted good no one, including Craig or I, could get past the idea that we were eating baby food. Madeline even shed a few tears over the matter. It was actually quite funny. But perhaps the funniest part about this whole episode is that Sarah realized that something was up, because after 3 or 4 bites even she turned up her nose at my new creation!

2 comments:

jayne said...

I did the EXACT same thing when Landon was close to the same age! I was the only one that really loved how they tasted, but I also couldn't get past the resemblance to baby food. (I'm headed out the door in 1 hour!)

DeAnna said...

OK...I really got a good chuckle out of this one.